Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatore, is a major educational centre of the well-known Ramakrishna Mission. It is 19 km from the Coimbatore City on the highway to Ootacamund, and situated in a serene environment spread over about
300 acres. The Institution was founded by Sri T.S. Avinashilingam in 1930 with an investment of just Rs. 5.75 and with one harijan boy on its roll.
Over a period of 70 years, the Vidyalaya has grown into a comprehensive and reputed educational complex with nearly 4000 students, offering them facilities for education ranging from the pre-school to the doctoral levels. As a support service, there are eight hostels in the campus, with a total strength of about 1500 boys. There is no hostel facility for girls. The daily morning and evening prayers, the weekly Vivekananda Study Circle classes and the numerous value-oriented programmes in the hostels enable the students to imbibe the best of Indian cultural values. Simple vegetarian food, hygienically prepared, is provided to the hostellers. The messes are run on a dividing system. The average expense of a hosteller is around Rs.700 per month.
The Institution was founded by Sri T.S. Avinashilingam in 1930 with an investment of just Rs. 5.75 and with one harijan boy on its roll. There was a source for his inspiration to set out on this bold venture. While studying in college, Sri T.S.Avinashilingam met Swami Shivananda, a direct disciple of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna whose another famous disciple was Swami Vivekananda. It was from Vivekananda that Shivananda absorbed the idea of the prime importance of education for the revival of India. The 'sacred touch' of Swami Shivananda, as Sri Avinashilingam later described it, awoke in him the necessary strength and vision for his future mission in the field of education. Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, laid the foundation stone of the Vidyalaya in 1934 and wished that the students of the Vidyalaya would be intensely patriotic followers of truth. The Vidyalaya was affiliated to Ramakrishna Mission in the same year.
• Established in 1964
• Student Strength : 1000 (only males)
• Duration :
• 3 years for under-graduation and MCA
• 2 years for post-graduation
• Qualification :
• Plus 2 for UG courses
• Graduate degree for PG courses
• Hostel Facilities : Partly Residential
• Telephone :2692461, 2693830
• The college enjoys autonomous status since 1981.
• Granted B+ grade by NAAC in 2003.
• The MCA course is recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education.
• The college conducts several national seminars throughout the year under the aegis of national bodies such as the UGC and the MNES.
• The Department of Physics specializes in research in solar technology.
• Extension Services of the College’s Departments serve the rural masses in their respective ways.
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University(RKMVU)
Arts & Science